DHQ Denies Terrorist Base in South West, Calls Oyo Attack Isolated

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed reports claiming that terrorists have established a base in Nigeria’s South West, insisting that intelligence does not support the existence of any entrenched insurgent network in the region.

Global Mirror News gathered that the clarification follows growing concern after the abduction of teachers and pupils in Orire Local Government Area of Oyo State last Friday, which sparked speculation about possible terrorist presence in the area.

In a statement issued by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Michael Onoja, the Military described the incident as an isolated criminal act rather than evidence of a structured terror base.

He stated:

“Current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South West region.”

The DHQ explained that troops had earlier conducted clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park, which significantly disrupted criminal activities in the area.

It warned against narratives that could heighten public fear or exaggerate the capacity of criminal groups.

“Criminal elements… do not constitute an established insurgent presence, and the Defence Headquarters cautions against narratives that may cause unnecessary public panic or embolden adversaries,” the statement added.

The Military confirmed that search-and-rescue operations are ongoing, with troops deployed across forested areas in pursuit of the abductors and efforts to rescue the victims.

“Troops are currently deployed and actively operating within the forest in pursuit of the perpetrators and in search of the abducted victims,” it said.

It added that troops have made contact with criminal elements and are continuing coordinated pursuit operations alongside other Security Agencies.

The DHQ also noted that Local communities are being engaged for intelligence support to aid ongoing operations.

“The Armed Forces is equally engaging the local populace for human intelligence,” the statement said.

It further assured that all necessary measures are being taken to dismantle criminal networks and restore peace across the region.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered… and normalcy is fully restored,” it concluded.

Global Mirror News gathered that joint security operations have been intensified across forest corridors in the South West following the incident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *