Six Nabbed as Police Smash Child Trafficking Ring, Rescue Stolen Boy in Anambra

The Anambra State Police Command has dismantled a notorious child trafficking syndicate operating across Anambra, Enugu, and Lagos States, rescuing a three-year-old boy who was stolen from Nkpor in Idemili North Local Government Area. Six suspects, including family members of the prime suspect, were arrested in connection with the crime.

Confirming the incident in a statement issued on Sunday, the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the rescue operation followed an intelligence-led investigation by officers of the Gender Unit, State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Awka.

According to Ikenga, trouble started when the victim’s mother, identified as Chiamaka (surname withheld), left her son in the care of her neighbour, Samuel Ibe, while she attended to her business. On her return, both the boy and Ibe were nowhere to be found.

“Immediately the case was reported, operatives attached to the Gender Unit of the command swung into action. Through coordinated intelligence, the prime suspect was traced and arrested, leading to the recovery of the stolen child in Lagos,” Ikenga said.

He explained that six suspects have so far been apprehended, including Samuel Ibe (27), his mother Agatha Ejeweh (35), his younger brother Ejeweh Chigozie Chidera (15), and three other accomplices whose identities are being kept confidential to avoid compromising the investigation.

Ikenga revealed that the suspects confessed to being part of a wider network that specialises in stealing and selling children to buyers across Southern Nigeria. “Their mode of operation involves gaining the trust of parents or guardians before whisking the children away for illegal sale or adoption,” he added.

The rescued boy, Police confirmed, has since been reunited with his parents and is in stable health after undergoing medical examination and counseling.

SP Ikenga further assured that the Police are intensifying efforts to trace other victims linked to the syndicate and promised that all those involved will face prosecution upon completion of investigations.

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Nnaghe Obono Itam, has directed that the case be diligently investigated and charged to court. The command will not tolerate any form of child abuse, trafficking, or inhuman treatment,” Ikenga emphasized.

Residents of the area expressed relief at the successful rescue, commending the police for their swift response and professionalism. Community leaders in Nkpor and surrounding areas also urged parents to remain vigilant and to report suspicious movements promptly.

The incident has reignited conversations about the growing menace of child trafficking in Nigeria, particularly in the South-East, where cases of missing children and illegal adoption syndicates have been on the rise.

Security experts have called for stronger community surveillance and inter-state intelligence collaboration to curb such crimes, while child rights activists urged the government to strengthen social protection and child welfare systems.

As investigations continue, the Anambra State Police Command has reiterated its commitment to ensuring that every member of the trafficking network is brought to justice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *