Gunmen Strike Again in Kogi, Community Blamed for Silence Before Church Abductions

The town of Ejiba in Yagba West, Kogi State, descended into panic early Sunday after armed men stormed a Cherubim and Seraphim Church, abducting the pastor, his wife and several worshippers in yet another brazen attack on religious centres across the region.

The gunmen, believed to have been hiding in surrounding bushes for days, launched their strike during an early-morning worship session. Terrified residents fled in different directions as the attackers swept through the church and escaped with their captives.

Confirming the incident in a statement issued in Lokoja, the Kogi State Commissioner for Information, Kingsley Fanwo, said the tragedy could have been averted if locals had not ignored warning signs. According to him, strange faces were reportedly seen around the community prior to the attack, but no one raised alarm.

“Those who struck at Ejiba must have been hiding in the community for days. Some villagers would have seen them and kept quiet. If you refuse to raise alarms when you see strange faces, who knows who will be their next victims?” Fanwo said.

He criticised the continued use of isolated, bush-path worship centres despite repeated warnings and recent abductions in neighbouring states. He described the situation as avoidable, stressing that communities must take security more seriously.

“We all need to be security conscious. Avoid attending unsecured churches and mosques at this time. When you see something, say something,” he warned.

Ejiba, a border community with a history of criminal infiltration, has faced recurring insecurity challenges. Fanwo revealed that the state Government and Local authorities had been working to curb these threats but require stronger community cooperation.

He advised residents to avoid unnecessary journeys, keep their travel plans private, and immediately report suspicious movements.

Security Agencies have since launched search-and-rescue operations, with the state government promising “drastic measures” to ensure the safe return of all abducted victims.

The exact number of victims remains unclear as investigations continue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *